Chocolate fountains are becoming a popular attraction in parties and other events. Kids and adults alike cannot resist the temptation of dipping different kinds of treats into an overflowing fountain of rich and creamy chocolate fondue.
However, knowing how to use this wonderful chocolate machine can make such a big difference between a mouth-watering dessert and an irritating mess in your kitchen or buffet table. Learning how to use properly also ensures that your party will never be forgotten. Here are some things that you should know about using a chocolate fountain.
1. Place the machine on a strong and steady surface. Make sure that it is placed on a surface that can carry at least 85 lbs. The machine itself is light but with the chocolate fondue, fresh fruits, plates and skewers, the entire display could be a lot heavier. In addition, a steady and level surface allows the machine to run properly and flow evenly.
2. Plug the machine using its own circuit. Avoid using an extension cord. If this is not possible make sure that no one will trip over the extension cord by properly taping it to the floor.
3. Provide proper ventilation. Typically, there are vent holes found on the underside of the machine. Avoid blocking these areas with linen or other materials to prevent over-heating.
4. Assemble the fountain according to the user's manual. But first, remember to wash all the components before putting everything together. Before pouring chocolate fondue in the main bowl, test the machine first without the chocolate to ensure that it is in working condition.
5. Melt the chocolate. There are three ways to do this, in the microwave, on the stove top and in the basin or reservoir. When melting chocolate on a stove top, use a double boiler and place it over a low heat. Constantly stir the chocolate to avoid burning.
If you choose to melt the chocolate in a microwave, do not let it running for too long. Set the microwave on low heat, and then place the chocolate in a 'microwaveable' bowl. Run the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl, stir and repeat the process until you get the desired consistency.
On the other hand, when melting chocolate in the machine's basin, you need to stir the chocolate constantly every three to five minutes. Note that basin melting usually takes up to one hour to fully melt the chocolate depending on the amount of chocolate used and the size of the machine.
6. Closely monitor the chocolate. Both basin-melted and pre-melted chocolate requires careful monitoring on the first time that they are poured into fountain. Frequently stir the chocolate and spoon it towards the auger or the center to start the machine flowing with liquid chocolate.
7. Prepare the dippers. You can use pound cake, marshmallows, cookies dried apricot, meringue, strawberries, banana pieces and more. When using fresh fruits, wash and then dry them up so that the chocolate will stick to them. You also need to make sure that the dippers are cut into bite size pieces so they can be individually skewered.